Before we go into those tips, may we ask, what do you do during an office break?
We get 1 hour of break every five working days a week, and the rest of 8 hours (if you’re working from 8-5) will be spent on going through all of your tasks during the day. Therefore, your 1-hour break is important to balance between working hours. Here are 7 simple activities that you can do to stay productive in the office during a break. You can even do some of them on your mobile phone.
- Organize your phone. Take a few minutes to delete any apps you never use, sort your latest photos by event/date, and file apps in folders. Shift any apps you use daily to the front screen.
- Update social media passwords. It’s a good idea to update your online passwords every so often, and a slow afternoon is a great opportunity. Best practice is to create a phrase that combines upper and lowercase letters, numbers, and at least one special character. Try not to use the same password for your email and all your social networks, and keep track of the new passwords using a tool like 1Password, PassPack, or Password Genie.
- Tidy up your office drawer/desk. Take time to go through your office drawers. Clear out old gum, pens that don’t work, un-bent paper clips, and anything else that you don’t need.
- Unsubscribe from newsletters in your personal inbox. Sometimes we think we need to keep up-to-date with our favorite brands/stores through their newsletter. Do you have daily deals newsletter you haven’t actually read in six months? The store email list you never signed up for but somehow got on anyway? Unsubscribe from any newsletters you haven’t read in a month or more.
- Spend a few minutes renaming and organizing your files. Organizing your files in a place where you’ll easily find can save your energy anytime you need them. Your future self will thank you.
- Make plans. You can use your lunch break to make plans for the rest of the week. For example, you can make a plan to meet an old friend this week, make a schedule of activities for the next week, or planning on a trip on the weekend with your dearest friends. Take notes of all of your plans so you don’t forget.
- Run some errands. Some errands—like going to the bank or ATM—must be handled during work hours. Take a few minutes before your lunch break to go to the bank so you can do what you need.
There are a lot more ways to make your working day stay productive during an office break. Do you have any activities during the break? Share in the comment below.
Don’t miss any updates about your dream career from us.